May 31 to June 3, 2020
CF20SASK NATIONAL CONFERENCE
57th NATIONAL CONFERENCE - Saskatoon, SK Delta Saskatoon Downtown
As we move into another season of change – associated with shorter days, chillier temperatures and the brilliant colours of Fall – I am reflecting on the change that is starting to take place within the Culinary Federation. We are committed to embracing new approaches to managing our branches (similar to the new approaches we are embracing to manage our kitchens) while still honouring the traditions that brought us here, and hope that each and every member is committed to the same journey of transformation – so that we can SUSTAIN AND GROW OUR COMMUNITY TOGETHER.
For everyone involved, thank you again for participating and contributing to the “Building the Federation Branch by Branch” brainstorming session that took place at the Niagara conference. This was the first step to sharing branch successes (and opportunities for change) so that we can learn from each other. The next – AND MOST IMPORTANT – step is to allow each branch (and all members) to dig deeper through the brainstorming results and ideas, to create your own plan for growth, with the assistance and guidance of the National Office. We encourage you to start this process as soon as possible, ideally at your first branch meeting in September. The summary report and links to all of the brainstorming notes, can be accessed at:
Here’s a sampling of what’s on the menu for the Federation this Fall:
· Survey results indicate that networking is one of the primary reasons that members attend the National Conference. Come build connections with us at the 2020 Conference in Saskatoon (called “Canada’s Hottest New Foodie Destination” by Forbes Magazine). I’m looking forward to sharing the unique hospitality of the Canadian Prairies with you in 2020. SAVE THE DATE: May 31 to June 3, 2020. Registration opens soon.
· Are you ready for International Chefs Day on October 20th? The 2019 theme is “How Healthy Food Works” and we encourage each branch to get into the community and make a difference, sharing our culinary knowledge with the next generation. For more information and to download the complete toolkit, go to: www.internationalchefsday.worldchefs.org
· Our National Teams (both Senior and Youth) are hard at work getting ready for the IKA/Culinary Olympics in Stuttgart, Germany this February. Let’s cheer them on as they “GO FOR THE GOLD” in 2020! To support locally, be sure to watch our Facebook page for information about fundraising dinners for Culinary Team Canada, including September 27th in Toronto and October 3rd in Edmonton.
· If you like to compete, don’t forget to apply to participate at the 2019/20 Sysco Culinary Challenge. There are Regional/Provincial challenges taking place over the next few months, to secure competitors for the Nationals at the conference in Saskatoon. For information about upcoming dates, etc., please check the events section on the CF website and Facebook page and/or connect with your Regional Vice President.
CULINARY & SKILLS DEVELOPMENT
· Thank you to our partners at Sysco Corporation for their commitment to sharing knowledge with our members and the culinary community at large. Over the past few months, Sysco has hosted insightful webinars on topics ranging from Social Media, Food Photography and Plate Presentation to the Effects of Delivery Apps on the Foodservice Industry.
· We are currently working on a series of joint webinars with the Sysco team, so watch for information and registration details about these upcoming webinars:
o Butchery on November 13th
o Bread Baking in January
o Vegan Cooking
o Food Allergies
· We are also working on building a digital library so that all joint webinars will be available for viewing by members.
Thank you again for your continued dedication and support of the Culinary Federation. Should you have ideas to share about how we can continue to embrace change, please feel free to reach out to me (contact information is below). I look forward to growing our community together into the future.
Chef Simon Smotkowicz
President, Canadian Culinary Federation
IS THE PLANT-BASED TREND HERE TO STAY? Click here to Register: https://syscocanada.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_XpqZhpz2TKaA_Uz7XVEUow
at Newly Weds Foods
CF Oakville, ON
Learn more about the Shifting Foodservice Industry! Register at: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_BMFI6JKkQ8yhXh9cPWrPLg
at Seven Oaks School Division
CF Winnipeg, MB
Winnipeg Celebrates International chefs day